I am delighted to welcome you to the ANZGOSA conference 2020.
We have joined with ANZMOSS in uncertain times to provide an online program of substantial interest to all surgeons, fellows, trainees as well as nurses, cancer co-ordinators and dietitians interested in the surgery of the oesophagus and stomach.
The ANZGOSA theme is oesophageal and junctional adenocarcinoma surgery and optimising outcomes, with a particular focus on the shifting spectrum of adjuvant and neo-adjuvant therapies.
The Format will be a series of moderated presentations with facilitated discussions.
The conference is preceded by a symposium designed specifically for nurses, cancer co-ordinators and dietitians.
Throughout the main program we have a series of highly credentialled international speakers as well as leading Australian figures in research and the clinical management of oesophago-gastric cancer.
- Professor Florain Lordick from Lepzig in Germany will deliver a key note address on current status of adjuvant and neo-adjuvant therapies for oesophageal carcinoma.
- Professor Mark Smithers will moderate an expert panel discussion following this Professor Lordick’s presentation.
- Professor John Reynolds from Dublin will present on surgical therapies and particularly the newest and ongoing clinical trials.
- Professor Carel le Roux form Dublin will discuss hormonal changes and gastro-intestinal physiology associated with oesophagectomy.
Our local speakers include:
- Professor Trevor Leong: Radiation oncology perspective.
- Professor Andrew Barbour: Personalised therapies.
- Mr Jon Shenfine: Optimising conduit design in oesophageal reconstruction.
- Professor John Zalcberg: Management of metastatic Gastro-intestinal stomal tumours.
- Other topics include Enhanced recovery after surgery in The Australian setting (Mr Richard Chen) and Ms Lisa Murnane will discuss sarcopaenia and nutritional staging.
Importantly, there is also an excellent, complementary ANZMOSS program which will also be accessible to all registrants.
We do extend our thanks to Professor Michael Talbot and the AMZOSS board for their generous invitation to join their conference, which will hopefully add substantial value to members of both societies.
Convenor, ANZGOSA Conference 2020